Sunday, December 14, 2008

31st Annual Santa Monica-Venice Christmas 10K - 12/13/08

Earlier this month I enlisted the help of a runner named Jimmy Dean to help me train for my second 100K race, the Miwok 100k. Before we could nail down a training plan, he needed to see where my fitness level currently was. And to be quite honest, I've been ready to get a better assessment also.

Here I go. 7:30 am, I'm at the start with my friends Eric and Kelly. It's my first race in California. And a very festive-themed one also, the 31st Annual Santa Monica-Venice Christmas 10K. The gun goes off and so I follow. My heart begins an anxious beat, followed by another and another. I quickly start checking my Garmin like a speedometer. The only three things on my mind from start to finish are how fast I am going, how hard am I breathing, how much energy do I have left. I'm hovering at a 6:45-7:15 / mile pace. Back and forth, faster and slower. I decide that I want to negative split (my second 5k to be faster than the first), and around mile 3 I realize I'm cooking about as hot as I can, and I better just go with the flow. My second decision is to pull away around mile 5. And so I push a little harder, but all I can do is stay steady, with maybe a few quick bursts. Speaking of bursts... now I decide, and this is typical of any race I do, that in the last quarter mile I'm going to sprint for the finish. Well, I really tried, but then I felt a quick heave come from deep inside. I keep it cool, coast, then hit the engines with about 50 feet to go.



Result...

Time: 43:39... a NEW PR (personal record) by over 2:37!
Pace: 7:02/mile

#10 in my age group! But, what aways gets me is when I look at other results and realize, that if I ran a 6:50 pace... I could have contended for 5th position. Well, I know I can do it. So, I'm going to. I'm going to run another 10K at a 6:50 pace.


Onward towards January 10th. That's the day I find out if I made it into the Miwok 100K. My destiny.

Best,
Peter

1 comment:

Jimmy Dean said...

Congrats on that blazing time, Peter. I'm really looking forward to working with you in 2009!

Are you joining us for our New Year's Day traditional crazy run?

Call me, we have much to catch up on...